#1 2022-06-17 23:30

gingerbreadman

growing supplies

Anyone have any supplies for small scale cannabis growing? Full spectrum LED lights etc

#2 2022-06-20 05:50

chitty

Re: growing supplies

Yea exactly, there's shops like "Grow and Brew" store

#3 2022-06-20 22:30

gingerbreadman

The old local grow shop got shut down where i live and the other stuff around is usually for bigger operations than im looking for! im pretty hesitant to order on clear net sites too, i had to explain to the police a while back why i required so many poppy pods for my craft supplies. (A guy just cant express himself artistically these days!)
I dont really want to give anyone a reason for scrutiny of my property due to the other things i have lying around that they may not be as forgiving for as a couple of weed plants!
I do like the image of a guy going into the head shop in a trench coat with aviators and a fedora pulled down over his face while a bunch of blazed hipsters just stare at him though haha

#4 2022-06-22 02:00

chitty

Would you be interested in 400W HID gear?

#5 2022-06-22 22:50

gingerbreadman

Are they quite expensive to run? Im looking at a very small test run, dont want to invest much!

#6 2022-06-23 02:20

chitty

.4KW, well actually it's not 100% efficient so it'd be more like .5KW. What is your electricity price per KWh? Suppose it's about 30c/KWh, you'd be .5KW*.3$/KWh*24h*30days=$108/month for vegging, half that for flowering. Depending on where you put it it may save some of your heating bill in winter. Your setup will need to be able to handle the heat, eg if the grow is near a living area will it matter if the fans have to run at high speed to pump air through the carbon filter and keep the grow area at 25C? That may be feasible during winter but noisy or impossible in summer. A 250W HID or LED might be better. You may be able to get away with no carbon filter for a small grow, but they are stinky, another grower walking past your house will be like "sniff, sniff, hmm", and not care. A non-grower walking past your house won't know what the smell is (it doesn't smell like dried weed or weed being smoked), so the flak is sort of self-limiting. A cop who's busted enough grows may walk past and be suspicious, but at this point.... they simply may not care about small grows since NZ will probably legalise next time a referendum comes up. If you're at all worried get a carbon filter (and appropriate ventilation). I've had grows in my bedroom during winter and the fan sound was acceptable, these were custom setups (bit of cardboard, masking tape, simple electronics for fan speed control) with 200mm 12v and 24v fans plus large carbon filter with 200mm vent size, the 12v fan was a computer fan and it wasn't quite powerful enough, even at max speed the grow area would hit 30C, a "Thermaltake Pure PWM 200mm RGB TT Premium Edition" computer fan could ventilate a 250W grow just fine though, and they are designed with acoustics in mind. If you go with the 240V fans I'm not sure what the acoustics and fan speed control are like, I suppose solutions must exist, but whether fan noise is an issue for you depends on where the grow is located.

The price of even the most expensive LED grow light is trivial compared to the amount of weed you'll pull out of every single grow (once your technique reaches a medium standard), you could start with HID and then with the profit from the first crop you can afford a LED. LED are more efficient, if you are limited by power consumption or waste heat you should go with LED, if you are limited in set up costs HID are cheaper. I'll sell you my 400W stuff for basically half price if you want it but you may prefer 250W for a first experiment. HID sizes are basically (150W, less common but available) 250W, 400W, 600W, 1000W. If you really want to get going without ordering anything suspicious jam seven 14W household warm white LEDs into 2 or even 1 of these https://www.google.com/search?q=7+e27+bulb+holder&tbm=isch and pry the diffusion cap off the LEDs, one of those with 14W LEDs of reasonable quality could do one (smallish) plant, suppose 50cm square growing area, plus the smallest oscillating fan you can find in beside the plant. Paint the inside of the grow area with the whitest paint you can get (I have read matt recommended over gloss), https://www.resene.co.nz/swatches/reflectance.htm
https://www.resene.co.nz/swatches/search.php?reflectanceFrom=92&reflectanceTo=100&colour_palette=*&chart=*&submit42=List+colours&type=refl_palette_chart&page=
Conversely, if you want to make a passage through which air should flow but not light for ventilation paint it with the blackest paint you can get:
https://www.resene.co.nz/swatches/search.php?reflectanceFrom=0&reflectanceTo=4&colour_palette=*&chart=*&submit42=List+colours&type=refl_palette_chart&page=

Edit: just found a paint with a higher LRV (light reflectance value) than those at 92 by resene, 94 by dulux https://www.dulux.co.nz/colours/details/228157_201008 "Vivid White (also known as Southern Alps)..." and it probably makes sense to buy "exterior" paint as it's UV resistant and is designed for high light levels https://www.bunnings.co.nz/dulux-4l-vivid-white-matt-weathershield-exterior-paint_p0144829
And apparently the dulux black is darker too with an LRV of 3 not 4 https://www.dulux.co.nz/colours/details/287705_8234
If you put this https://onlineshop.dulux.co.nz/products/southern-alps?variant=31459795337327 in your shopping cart then go through checkout entering your details but do not complete payment dulux send you an email after a day giving you a code for free shipping, hah

You'd just need a pack of feminised seeds and to germinate one. Look at household LEDs through a digital camera to see if they flicker, the cheaper ones flicker, that means the power is pulsing 50 times a second. Perhaps it doesn't matter to the plants, perhaps it does. Even if you spend $1/W for more expensive Philips brand LED bulbs it'll still work out damn cheap when you pull 1k worth of weed off it in 3 months. You may want to put a e27 UV LED in the middle bulb position (UVA, not UVC/germicidal), some growers think a bit of UV light helps.

Once the grow is over you need somewhere to dry the weed that is also odour protected as the weed will continue to smell (with the smell becoming more recognisable as it dries) the obvious place is the grow room which already has a carbon filter in it. Finish drying and curing the weed with boveda 62% or 59%. The Warehouse sells these great big glass urns, up to 7L, they're perfect. I swear The Warehouse is mj grower friendly, if you look at some of their products, selling rooting hormone and coco coir. Put the yellow sticky insect traps from the warehouse in the grow area to catch little fruit fly gnat fuckers.

Edit: if your grow room is in your bedroom or another living area then the higher CO2 levels will be like the equivalent of CO2 injection which some growers do to get bigger yields

Last edited by chitty (2022-07-04 17:50)

#7 2022-06-23 04:40

chitty

Haha, might hit your 3-MeO-PCE actually

#8 2022-06-23 11:30

Xar777

hehee, awesome reply chitty, and some great tips in there!

Coincidentally I have a really high-end LED grow light I got from the switched on gardener before they shutdown (it was $500 at the time) and I have literally been trying to give it away to friends because I can't grow at my current location.. I grew some beautiful plants with that bad boy..

If your growing in a tent or cupboard type setup just be mindful of your humidity levels, I let mine get a little too moist one grow and got bud-rot which is fucking heat-breaking right at the end of the grow.

I agree about the cops being more laxxed now too, I think since the referendum there has been a mind-shift somewhat, a cop I have talked to recently basically said they don't really care about busting weed anymore, its the meth and guns they are targeting mostly. There's also now massive fields and green-houses full of "medical cannabis" growing that us folks have no way of accessing, which is bullshit and hypocritical. but anyway, I think the days of the old police ganja chopper squads are well over, I would hope.

#9 2022-06-23 12:30

theHitlerYouths

Xar777 wrote:

hehee, awesome reply chitty, and some great tips in there!

Coincidentally I have a really high-end LED grow light I got from the switched on gardener before they shutdown (it was $500 at the time) and I have literally been trying to give it away to friends because I can't grow at my current location.. I grew some beautiful plants with that bad boy..

If your growing in a tent or cupboard type setup just be mindful of your humidity levels, I let mine get a little too moist one grow and got bud-rot which is fucking heat-breaking right at the end of the grow.

I agree about the cops being more laxxed now too, I think since the referendum there has been a mind-shift somewhat, a cop I have talked to recently basically said they don't really care about busting weed anymore, its the meth and guns they are targeting mostly. There's also now massive fields and green-houses full of "medical cannabis" growing that us folks have no way of accessing, which is bullshit and hypocritical. but anyway, I think the days of the old police ganja chopper squads are well over, I would hope.

It is still going on. Why would you want to stop if that is your job? Out of the office, hiking in the wilderness, adventures in helicopters, no responsibilities or deadlines. Most people would pay for this experience. On top of all that - free drugs at the end of the day.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/128536907/police-seize-95m-worth-of-cannabis-in-national-operation
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/127541318/police-to-resume-aerial-cannabis-operations-a-year-after-national-operation-was-canned

over $700,000 a year to fund hundreds of hours of flight time for helicopters and planes

Last edited by theHitlerYouths (2022-06-23 12:30)

#10 2022-06-23 15:50

chitty

Oh dear the helicopters are back, that sucks, well at least maybe they're going a bit lighter:

“The aim of the operation was squarely on commercial-scale cannabis growing and the organised crime groups behind them,” Williams said.

“This was not about personal cannabis use or low-level offending.”

Many warnings were issued for cultivation of small-scale plots.

Board footer