#1 2024-05-14 13:30

Enchanted

monero gui

Hello.

I am just wondering if anyone has some time to discuss some issues and questions i have around setting up my monero wallet. Famer JOhn I know you offerd to help me at one stage but our communication broke down to due to fear of social engineering, i completely understand this, however I saw your comment on another post about using a socks5 proxy to hide behind and i feel you have the knowledge I desire regarding opsec.

any info or point in the right direction for valuable resources is greatly appretiated!

#2 2024-05-17 10:50

Xar777

Re: monero gui

You mention opsec so assuming you want vendor level type opsec yeah?

In this case forget about mucking around with tor socks proxy and just run your self a proper privacy sandboxed operating system.

I like whonix for this you can also use qubes or even whonix on qubes, this protects you from side channel leaks and forces all the apps on the OS to route via tor that way monero wallet will always run over tor no matter what as will any other apps running on your system. You would typically set this up as a hidden OS on your laptop or PC or as a USB boot stick and use full disk encryption as well

#3 2024-05-17 11:00

Xar777

As for monero wallet syncing yeah its going to be really slow over tor, its pretty slow over clearnet too mostly depends on your internet speed and latency I find and if you are running a full node or just in simple mode.

Once you are fully synced its best to just open up monero wallet on a regular basis for it to sync up to avoid any delays when you need it in a hurry. For a full node the initial blockchain sync can take days or longer and will use quite a bit of disk space too.

There are monero light wallets which largely avoid the syncing delays but I can't vouch for any of those and always run official monero wallet personally

#4 2024-05-24 18:00

Enchanted

thanks for that!

Ive now run out of disk space grrrrr is it normal for it to use up 80GB? i still have 1.2mil blocks left which is a bit concerning, is it common practice to have your wallet on an encrypted hard drive?

Board footer