#1 2019-11-11 18:10

Charlie Brown

The truth about VPNs

Good Afternoon to all you coke snorting, heroin ejecting, cone sinking machines,

I want to start a discussion around the topic of VPNs to hopefully help kiwis setup the required amount of OpSec for their situation.
A lot of discussions on platforms such as Dread point out that most users don't require a VPN and Tor will provide the privacy needed. But with New Zealand being apart of the Five Eyes surveillance (FVEY) should we really be trusting our ISP knowing we access Tor? Especially for the vendors on Tor Market who are active on the forums, your ISP matching up your forum post timestamps and can correlate that with your household accessing Tor.

Personally instead of using a VPN with Tor I opt for Tor Bridges as an alternative but I'm very interested to see what others are using and I'm sure the community could benefit with some good options.

Fuck yeah,
Charlie Brown..

Last edited by Charlie Brown (2019-11-11 18:20)

#2 2019-11-11 18:50

gucci

Re: The truth about VPNs

IMO if the govt really did care about the vendors/dealers so much they probably wouldve caught them by now, they have access to XKeyScore which can literally search for anyone, even tor users.

#3 2019-11-11 22:00

Ruakaka

There was a big op few years back that targeted many darknet customers (not dealers). Popo executed search warrants across the country knocking on all the doors of people who had consignments seized at the border, even relatively small orders. No VPN can protect you from that lol.

Idk what gucci means by "literally search for anyone"

#######
๐™๐™ช๐™–๐™ ๐™–๐™ ๐™–
#######

#4 2019-11-12 14:00

Charlie Brown

Ruakaka wrote:

There was a big op few years back that targeted many darknet customers (not dealers). Popo executed search warrants across the country knocking on all the doors of people who had consignments seized at the border, even relatively small orders. No VPN can protect you from that lol.

Being able to mask the fact you use TOR would prove beneficial if you were to go for plausible deniability

#5 2019-11-12 15:30

kimdotonion

For extra TOR security you can use a tool called Vanguards which does many things , one is to extend the circuit out to 4 relays. The tools are mostly for protecting hidden services because they are more vulnerable than clients, but it still increases the privacy of clients too.

Last edited by kimdotonion (2019-11-12 15:30)

#6 2019-11-13 13:00

opsec101

Another security tip is to stop using your default ISP DNS service. By default DNS lookups have no privacy so your ISP knows all the [clearnet] sites you visit. But you do not have to use your ISPs DNS servers. It is possible to use DNS encrypted with TLS and choose a DNS server that doesn't know your identity.

Last edited by opsec101 (2019-11-13 13:10)

#7 2019-11-13 14:50

gucci

Ruakaka wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XKeyscore

read the "According to Snowden and Greenwald" and "Capabilities" sections

Last edited by gucci (2019-11-13 14:50)

#8 2019-11-13 15:10

Psychedaddy

gucci wrote:
Ruakaka wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XKeyscore

read the "According to Snowden and Greenwald" and "Capabilities" sections

That doesnt say anything about Tor or other encrypted data. Theres no way they can just click their fingers and look up everyone on Tor, otherwise we would all be in prison already.

Never the less, I think they can do anything if they really want to spend a lot of time and resources on it. Thats why its important to not make yourself a target worth their resources. For example as a market, not allowing weapons sales, Fentanyl or shipping to USA.

As a community, encouraging safe practices.

And as an individual: only selling high quality, safe products. As soon as there is a death from 'Fentanyl sourced from a NZ dark net market' the media will have a frenzy and police will have pressure to get a result. Until then, there are far more dangerous, dodgy, and easier to catch, poor quality meth dealers on facebook.

#9 2019-11-14 23:20

Charlie Brown

Psychedaddy wrote:

That doesnt say anything about Tor or other encrypted data. Theres no way they can just click their fingers and look up everyone on Tor, otherwise we would all be in prison already.

Never the less, I think they can do anything if they really want to spend a lot of time and resources on it. Thats why its important to not make yourself a target worth their resources. For example as a market, not allowing weapons sales, Fentanyl or shipping to USA.

As a community, encouraging safe practices.

And as an individual: only selling high quality, safe products. As soon as there is a death from 'Fentanyl sourced from a NZ dark net market' the media will have a frenzy and police will have pressure to get a result. Until then, there are far more dangerous, dodgy, and easier to catch, poor quality meth dealers on facebook.

This is better than any answer I could of imagined.

If everyone understood all things you have mentioned we can provide a very stable community.
Banning the sales of weapons is an idea I support 100%, but unfortunately we'd have to assume someone will sell Fentanyl via eg. Tor Market but I'm sure even with the media portraying a terrible image of the NZ Darkweb scene, it could bring some positive light the the scene with the success it's been providing so far.

Last edited by Charlie Brown (2019-11-14 23:20)

#10 2019-11-15 18:50

Psychedaddy

Maybe I misunderstand your reply, but Tor Market has never allowed the sale of weapons or fentanyl.

#11 2019-11-16 11:20

Charlie Brown

Psychedaddy wrote:

Maybe I misunderstand your reply, but Tor Market has never allowed the sale of weapons or fentanyl.

Although never allowed to begin with, tordoctor has suggested the idea before, if you head over to Tor Market's news section look at the news from 2019-03-27

If you have an idea for a new site name please send any suggestions in a support ticket. Another market called tor market exit scammed a few years ago so it would be better to have a unique name. The current scope of products may be expanded to more than only drugs. Should semi-auto weapons be allowed?

Board footer