#1 2020-01-27 22:00

dolph

Safest way to aquire BTC NZ

Besides buying btc off someone irl who doesn't ask for identity what is the best way to get BTC in NZ without making a trail? Is buying bitcoin from local markets and transferring it from there to an electrum wallet with tails running enough to give your bitcoin adequate anonymity? any advice is appreciated.

#2 2020-01-28 01:00

TormarketSupport
Verified Vendor

Re: Safest way to aquire BTC NZ

There are some previous posts discussing this. Search for "btc" in General discussion.

#3 2020-01-28 09:00

god_is_a_dj

dolph wrote:

Is buying bitcoin from local markets and transferring it from there to an electrum wallet with tails running enough to give your bitcoin adequate anonymity?

that doesn't really give you any anonymity IMO as it's very traceable. The first address is obviously linked to your ID. If you transfer the entire wallet value to the second address regardless of TOR or whatever... people are going to assume that's your wallet too.

At some point you need to decide how much you care. Are you just buying a 50 bag of something relatively benign? or are you buying a kilo of blow... "go to jail" type values or "oh noes he bought a 50 bag of weed"

Personally if whatever I was doing could result in actual sentencing I would do my own research and go from there.

Speaking of my own research;

BTC in general is very traceable unless you use a mixing method like joinmarket or wasabi wallets coinjoin features. Unfortunately these mixing methods don't start to make financial sense or even really work, unless you're moving over ~0.09BTC

One of the best posts I read was to transfer via Monero and then back to BTC, but I've never done that myself and you'd have to keep your opsec in mind with that destination wallet. But that sounds like one of the simpler and better methods for a small player IMHO.

#4 2020-01-28 10:00

creezim

You can just use the tried and true method:

1. Buy btc from wherever price is good, use you CC and ID it doesn't matter.
2. Transfer btc to an electrum wallet on your normal PC.
3. Transfer the btc to your electrum wallet on Tails.
4. Send to market.

For ultimate security you can just create a new electrum wallet on Tails every time (not using persistence). The reason for this is there cannot be proof you own the electrum wallet on Tails. So police trace you transfering money to that Tails wallet but you can claim you were sending money to some random anonymous guy online because you were sorry for him. So when police trace the btc going to the market they can't pin that on you.

The above is 100% safe in NZ because you are innocent until Proven guilty. The only time you need to take more care is when cashing btc out, btc tracing can't identify you if you are just moving btc around as long as you conceal your IP from wallet servers at some point in the process. People are very confused about how this stuff works, plausable deniability = no charges.

#5 2020-01-28 11:50

TormarketSupport
Verified Vendor

When cases are published about how someone was caught due to blockchain analysis, it is always a vendor trying to cash out large amounts at an exchange. LE have many old seized DNM databases/wallets and can tie the exchange deposit back to vendor usernames on those markets. They could try arrest buyers as well but there are too many bigger fish to go after.

creezim wrote:

You can just use the tried and true method:

1. Buy btc from wherever price is good, use you CC and ID it doesn't matter.
2. Transfer btc to an electrum wallet on your normal PC.
3. Transfer the btc to your electrum wallet on Tails.
4. Send to market.

You don't need multiple wallets to do this, can move the money around within one wallet. Vary the amounts and keep a little in the wallet for the next order.

#6 2020-01-28 18:40

dolph

Awesome, thanks for the responses that clarifys it alot

Board footer