#1 2022-11-14 04:30

indeed

why do people ddos

have been wondering why someone will just decide to ddos an online platform, like do they gain somthing by doing this ?

#2 2022-11-14 21:40

walt1

Re: why do people ddos

I think sometimes the attacker will be telling the site admin they will stop the attacks for a ransom. Can't remember where but I heard this was happening to Empire a lot and why it was so often offline.

I wonder if market admins ever give into the requests. I imagine giving in would only encourage more attacks and it would only stop that particular attacker if at all.

Up 4 days, down 4 dollars.

#3 2022-11-17 14:20

TormarketSupport
Verified Vendor

One reason DOS attacks are perpetrated is to make market users stop using their familiar URL links they trust and do web searches for different links. As described in the phishing help section, doing this will probably result in logging into a fake copy of the market so the phisher can steal money from your account.

A European vendor just lost the proceeds of 16 finalized orders because he couldn't get rrlm2* onion to load so Googled for another link. Logged into a phishing site and they took over his account. 2FA doesn't help when logging into a phishing proxy.

#4 2022-11-17 19:30

TormarketSupport
Verified Vendor

Also there is a message that has been shown every time anyone logs in for the last few years showing two public URLs and saying to bookmark them. When they first sign up another message pops up explaining why its so important.

#5 2022-11-18 09:20

JessiePinkman
Banned

TormarketSupport wrote:

Logged into a phishing site and they took over his account. 2FA doesn't help when logging into a phishing proxy.

Could you please explain this statement in further detail? I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that 2FA would help protect you in a situation like this? Thankfully its never happened to me, I have bookmarked all three of the TM sites and if they all don't work, well it's a rarity.

Last edited by JessiePinkman (2022-11-18 09:20)

#6 2022-11-18 14:30

TormarketSupport
Verified Vendor

JessiePinkman wrote:
TormarketSupport wrote:

Logged into a phishing site and they took over his account. 2FA doesn't help when logging into a phishing proxy.

Could you please explain this statement in further detail? I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that 2FA would help protect you in a situation like this? Thankfully its never happened to me, I have bookmarked all three of the TM sites and if they all don't work, well it's a rarity.

There are lots of benefits of having 2fa enabled, and does lessen impact of the account takeover somewhat. But the phisher can still get in and start messing with settings etc. If you read the phishing help section on Tor Market and still have questions to clarify then please ask.

Last edited by TormarketSupport (2022-11-18 17:30)

#7 2022-11-23 22:20

TormarketSupport
Verified Vendor

Another reason for the DOS attacks could be try to locate the hidden service onion servers where they need a lot of traffic the do the analysis. But they even attack sites like Dread so maybe it's just for fun of the challenge.

Board footer