#1 2024-06-29 21:50

greenpanda

Which VPN for protecting & anonymous

Which VPN is best for protecting and staying anonymous in the web browser? And which city or country should one connect to?

#2 2024-07-03 04:00

FarmerJohn

Re: Which VPN for protecting & anonymous

Mullvad is the only answer. Multiple surprise independent audits over the years to confirm no logs are kept. Subscription can be paid in crypto. Sign up through Tor so your real IP isn't known to Mullvad just in case.

DO NOT use ProtonVPN, or any other VPN that forces you to sign up with your real name and credit or debit card.

If you want to be super duper safe while still appearing as a normal internet connection, unlike using Tor you will need to learn how to use SOCKS5. Which I so cannot be assed explaining right now. Might come back tomorrow and walk you through it.

But really if you aren't committing fraud and identity theft SOCKS5 is pretty overkill.

#3 2024-07-03 12:00

greenpanda

I'm aiming for maximum security and anonymity. Does it still make a difference if I've been using just the Tor browser on my PC without any VPN?
I've used ProtonVPN and a few other VPNs a few times.

Last edited by greenpanda (2024-07-03 12:00)

#4 2024-07-03 14:10

FarmerJohn

As long as you didnt do anything retardedly illegal while you were using ProtonVPN youll be fine but dont use it again.

The absolute best security is TOR as long as you follow the basic rules. Don't login to websites and don't do or say anything at all that can give away who you are or where you are.

Using a VPN on top of TOR is actually really bad security. To your ISP and any LE watching internet traffic there are millions of people using TOR every day. But if you are the one guy using a VPN on top of TOR that means you are the guy that is trying really hard to stay anonymous and that will single you out as a target. Don't draw attention to yourself.

To answer the original question Sweden is the country you want to connect your VPN through. They have some of the tightest privacy laws in the world.

In summary doing darknet shit use TOR and just TOR. For clearnet shit use Mullvad VPN connected to Sweden.

If you want 100 percent security you'll need to learn how to use TailsOS and SOCKS5. I can't be fucked writing an essay on it all but those are the points to start at.

#5 2024-07-25 00:30

Hazey

By using a VPN you're just shifting your trust from your ISP to the VPN provider. You'll never know if they're logging your data or if LE is tapped in.

The Darknet Bible is a good read for basic opsec starting out. If what you're doing needs to be outside of TOR, FJ gave some solid methods to look into

Board footer