#1 2020-12-05 12:20

Xobia

Leaving Tor Browser in default size setting is impossible

I know to leave the Tor Browser in it's default size setting but it is impossible to do in real life because the scroll bar on Tor Browser is so skinny that I end up accidentally changing the default size slightly.

I bet everyone does that same thing.  Leaving Tor Browser in it's default size setting is not possible so why don't we all just enlarge the browser to full size instead of working with a small browser size all the time?

#2 2020-12-05 14:40

nugget

Re: Leaving Tor Browser in default size setting is impossible

It is only discouraged to make the tor browser full-screen because then sites can detect what size screen you are using and it helps ID you since you are standing out compared to the rest of the network.

I'm pretty sure that resizing the browser without making it full screen cannot be detected by sites especially without JS enabled?

#3 2020-12-05 18:30

Xar777

This hasn't been true for some time now, you can happily maximize your tor browser window without any major concern for fingerprinting.

TB does this using a letterbox technique, that's what those grey bars are either side of the window when you maximize. See: http://4bflp2c4tnynnbes.onion/tbb/maximized-torbrowser-window/index.html

Also, yes if you have JS disabled then it's extremely difficult to determine your screen-size

#4 2020-12-06 11:10

Xobia

nugget wrote:

It is only discouraged to make the tor browser full-screen because then sites can detect what size screen you are using and it helps ID you since you are standing out compared to the rest of the network.

I'm pretty sure that resizing the browser without making it full screen cannot be detected by sites especially without JS enabled?

I always have JS disabled.  Thanks for the information.

#5 2020-12-06 12:30

Xobia

Xar777 wrote:

This hasn't been true for some time now, you can happily maximize your tor browser window without any major concern for fingerprinting.

TB does this using a letterbox technique, that's what those grey bars are either side of the window when you maximize. See: http://4bflp2c4tnynnbes.onion/tbb/maximized-torbrowser-window/index.html

Also, yes if you have JS disabled then it's extremely difficult to determine your screen-size

Oh I didn't know they had found a solution to the full screen/fingerprinting problem.  Thanks

Board footer