#1 2021-02-16 22:00

longschlong1911

Sent bitcoin to the wrong address?

Hey everyone.

A bit of a weird one from me, but I placed an order for some edibles and I paid for it using easycrypto to a bitcoin address. The weird thing is, I got an address that is valid, but not the one that I was meant to send it to. I know this probably doesn't come across well, so I'll try explain it clearly

I placed an order, then when it came time to pay for it I copy and pasted an address into blockchain. This was a valid address (REMOVED BY MODERATOR) so the payment went through, and I didn't notice anything wrong until I got told that the order had expired because the funds hadn't gone through. Upon closer inspection, I figured out that the address I was meant to send it to was different.

I have two questions - first, does this address belong to anyone here/does anyone know whose it is? Might be searching for a refund. The second is where did I even get this address from???? I've retraced my steps and I definitely copy and pasted it from somewhere, but it's so random that it's a valid address but not the correct one.

#2 2021-02-16 22:20

Alpha

Re: Sent bitcoin to the wrong address?

What URL do you use to access the market and how do you find this URL? You may have been on a phishing proxie clone site of tor market that swapped the BTC address out to there own.. Happened to me last year, see this post by the admin of this market for more information:

http://nz53a6eqr3jchq5g.onion/viewtopic.php?id=437

Make sure you save the verified URL's and connect to the market only using them.

#3 2021-02-16 22:20

NZDMFmod

Dont post bitcoin addresses here , it breaks the rule on doxxing (even if you are doxxing yourself)

#4 2021-02-17 12:30

ms.Kiwilegend

longschlong1911 wrote:

I paid for it using easycrypto to a bitcoin address.

Are you saying you just sent the bitcoin from easycrypto? This is terrible opsec and may be why your order expired since easycrypto can take a long time sending the coins depending on how you paid for it. Always order bitcoin to your wallet first, then pay.

#5 2021-02-22 13:50

tazaar

Better hope the police didnt see that bitcoin address mate, given you got fucking Easycrypto to send it, who has all your details.

#6 2021-02-23 05:40

wtfbbq

The police would still need to know that the sending wallet was an Easycrypto address (which perhaps they would as part of their wallet tracking/identifying activities) and if they decided to investigate it then they'd have to get a warrant to force Easycrypto to reveal who the transaction was sent by. Which is unlikely for small transactions.

At the very least send from your wallet to a new wallet then to DNMs, the idea being that if your wallet is known to belong to you it is possible that you sent money to another person who then sent it to a DNM. Not as good as the method suggested in Tor Market help to send from exchange to exchange changing currencies so there is no trail of wallets. Just grab a random exchange service off here https://www.bestchange.com/ (it's not so great for small amounts due to overhead costs, you need an email address for most which can be https://temp-mail.org/ or similar once you decide they are trustworthy)
Send BTC from your wallet, receive XMR (Monero) to a new XMR wallet. Send the XMR to a new different exchange and receive BTC to a new wallet. Send BTC from there to DNM. You could put an online mixer/tumbler service in the chain if you want. The thing you have to watch out for is that if the exchange rate of the coins you're sending/receiving changes during the transaction you may receive less than you expected, so if you try to send eg XMR to the exchange and then BTC straight to tor market you might end up underpaying by 1%, so you need the extra step of receiving the coins to your wallet again. If you want a less volatile coin to hold some cash as crypto for a while you might want to receive USDT or something. Using actual exchanges could be cheaper than exchange services like those on bestchange, many places you're able to sign up to with only an email address but then you need to familiarise yourself with crypto exchanges. Check their KYC. Defi exchanges are probably the most anonymous.

For maximum security with XMR you need to run a full node over tor which involves downloading the XMR blockchain which is a 100GB download, although there is a pruning feature which may cut that down to 30GB. And there is Zcash z-wallets which tor market help suggests is the most private coin around, but articles I've read suggest XMR is more secure because the presence of non-private transactions on z-cash makes the private z-transactions easier to trace. Last time I investigated it seemed that you'd have to download the zcash blockchain which I think is about 30GB to use the z-wallets. The NSA has offered and delivered contracts to companies offering XMR tracking ability (they stipulated that the tracking must work for 2020, ie can work on historical data). A lot of our cryptography is going to be opened up by quantum computers in 6-10 years, which will at first be only affordable for big businesses and government agencies. RSA which is used for PGP keys is under threat (excuse the source): https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/79850713/#79855691

Give it 5-10 years and any cryptography based on prime factorization like RSA and ECDSA will be weaker than even MD5 is now. We are real fucked, anyone with a cheap wifi card can vacuum up all of their neighbors encrypted traffic and crack it once quantum computers capable of decrypting that traffic

Use 4096 bit RSA keys (might buy you a couple of years). Anything could happen over periods of decades, use multiple layers of obfuscation if you want to sleep at night!

Last edited by wtfbbq (2021-02-25 00:40)

Board footer