#1 2021-11-16 13:50

FrankMatthews

What is the chemical process to extract morphine from poppy seed?

In the TV news earlier this year was an Auckland police op, it showed bags of poppy seed and chemistry equipment. The police were saying it was being converted to morphine and then heroin. Does anyone know the procedure to extract the morphine?

#2 2021-11-16 20:20

gingerbreadman

Re: What is the chemical process to extract morphine from poppy seed?

The alkaloids you want are in the pod, not the seeds. The seeds themselves dont actually contain any, they just carry the residue from being inside the pod, hence the failed drug tests from poppy seed bagels!

After harvesting opium or creating a tea, then getting your opium that way, this is a basic rundown of process:

To create morphine base, the opium is added to boiling water. The raw opium dissolves into a clear brown liquid or “liquid opium.” Plant scrapings and other impurities float to the top to be scooped up. Slaked lime is then added to the liquid so that the morphine alkaloid reacts with the lime to form a solution. The solution is poured through a filter to remove any impurities, such as other alkaloids, that have sunk to the bottom. Concentrated ammonia is added to the solution and is then reheated. The morphine solidifies and settles at the bottom of the pot. A cloth is used to filter out the solid white chunks of morphine base. The morphine base, also known as “Heroin No. 1,” which makes up about 10 percent of the original quantity of raw opium, is wrapped into blocks and dried out in the sun.

#3 2021-11-16 20:40

FrankMatthews

Yes I am thoroughly familiar with all the literature describing it this way but yet to see a really good guide with photos and actual quantities of chemicals, PH levels etc.

#4 2021-11-17 16:20

Mr.Inbetween

Check libgen.is for a chemistry book about drug synthesis. I searched 'Morphine' on there out of curiosity and there's even a book titled "The Synthesis of Compounds Related to Morphine." I'm sure you'll be able to find a detailed guide. Best of luck smile

#5 2021-11-17 20:30

gingerbreadman

I see, dont know about photographs but there are rough guides on erowid wit the ph levels you want to achieve and chemicals you can use. Try this as a starting point
https://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=83605

#6 2021-11-17 22:50

FrankMatthews

I was wanting to perfect the calcium hydroxide (lime) and ammonia chloride method to obtain morphine base. My problem was the brown morphine base powder would precipitate out but end up dissolving again before it could be separated from the rest of the solution.

Last edited by FrankMatthews (2021-11-17 22:50)

#7 2021-11-18 20:40

gingerbreadman

How are you removing the precipitate as it forms? Il be honest with you, most of my knowledge on this subject is purely academic, but there are things you could play around with

#8 2021-11-18 22:30

FrankMatthews

It has been a while since I last tried. Could probably figure it out with trial and error but its costly each time because I don't want to waste bulk pods or seeds guessing.

Board footer