#1 2021-10-16 12:40

NZDMFmod

Wikr and CIA funding

Another reason to not use that app. Search for In-Q-Tel and there are statements that it is funded by CIA.

#2 2021-10-17 10:00

UlrikaMonkey

Re: Wikr and CIA funding

What is the best option?

#3 2021-10-17 14:50

NZDMFmod

Depends what you are trying to achieve.
Signal is meant to be the best for keeping communication private but not really anonymous because it needs to use cell phone number.
For the best anonymity , the app or software needs to send its traffic over TOR.
When journalists talk with secret sources they will use something that runs over TOR. ie a website with messaging features designed for this purpose.
XMPP communication protocol can be used over TOR. White House Market had XMPP setup.

#4 2021-10-19 19:10

UlrikaMonkey

NZDMFmod wrote:

Depends what you are trying to achieve.
Signal is meant to be the best for keeping communication private but not really anonymous because it needs to use cell phone number.
For the best anonymity , the app or software needs to send its traffic over TOR.
When journalists talk with secret sources they will use something that runs over TOR. ie a website with messaging features designed for this purpose.
XMPP communication protocol can be used over TOR. White House Market had XMPP setup.

Do you think Signal is secure enough for small time dealers (people buying a few grams here and there for friends and friends of friends etc.)?

I was originally using Signal, but noticed the only app if any that vendors used was [SCAM word detected here], therefore I assumed it was best so I made the switch. I have now switched back because of this post.

#5 2021-10-19 22:10

mastodon

getsession.org

#6 2021-10-23 14:20

NZDMFmod

When choosing software, the first thing to check is whether the source code is public. If no public source code, do not use it.
LE knows its becoming an impossible task to intercept communications so now they are actively hacking and trying to get access to endpoints (get control of the software on the phone or control of servers). But well designed apps should be resilient even if they take over servers.

#7 2021-11-02 12:40

dingleberry

Don't see the point of avoiding a CIA-funded app while continuing to use TOR, given the origins of the latter tech. It's simply impractical for each of us to trawl through 100s of 1000s of lines of code (let alone to acquire the ability to understand what we're reading) to verify that an application is benign, so some compromise has to be reached. I look at what people like Assange and Snowden endorse (which includes TOR and Signal I believe). The US was recently revealed to have drafted plans to assassinate Assange; if the tech is good enough for him then it's surely good enough for those of us here. (Guess I should point out that his 2019 capture had nothing to do with software vulnerabilities!)

#8 2021-11-03 12:50

mandogmaog

DONT USE SIGNAL unless you are on your burner.  Even then don't keep that burner on your person . Wikr still the safety platform to use NZ

#9 2021-12-02 11:30

NZDMFmod

This says both Signal and Wikr keep message content private from FBI as of January 2021. Seems that Signal will not provide phone number to LE after all.

http://darkzzx4avcsuofgfez5zq75cqc4mprjvfqywo45dfcaxrwqg6qrlfid.onion/post/fbi-document-highlights-the-benefits-of-end-to-end-encryption/

#10 2022-02-13 13:50

buron_ql22

I use signal for private discussions regarding anything but now im a bit unsure about it now, anything better than signal?

#11 2022-02-17 13:50

Ronald McDruggled
Verified Vendor
Website

Considering government agents intelligence military etc all across the western world are advised to use these encrypted apps to keep their comms secure I'd say even if it doesn't keep you safe from the highest branches of the US federal govt it'll definitely keep you safe from the chinese and the russians and so on

I've given some thought to this before and hypothetically say they did have a backdoor into wikkr and such or maybe even tor itself, given that the existence of tor is enabled by the US military to allow dissidents and secret agents overseas to transmit information, obviously we do not know for sure that this is the case and clearly that would provide them with an advantage that people trust tor and encryption

Therefore they would not want to flex their power and knowledge in an overt manner so as to even slightly risk being potentially exposed or share such information with anyone that has lips loose enough to sink the ship so to speak.

When you take in the full scale of crime, including terrorism and cp and such, mass organized crime and drug trafficking networks that go on worldwide, most of us here in NZ are far too insignificant to be worth compromising the integrity of their secret backdoors and intel sources above and beyond what has already been exposed by the likes of Snowden

I'd be scared if I was linked with international terrorist organizations, enemies of state or posed a fundamental threat to the status quo in the US, but otherwise its not like every piece of data they collect gets mulled over by humans nor would they ever have the manpower or instantly send every small detail that shows up on the radar to NZ police.

On that basis I believe wikkr is suitable for general use up to a certain point. US military use it.

With signal I'd want a burner sim and burner phone and incase the sims/phones are tracked or store cameras etc you'd want an individual with no digital or otherwise known link to you to purchase both for you in a different region of the country.
Snowden recommends signal.

There's also other open source encryption protocols used by multiple apps, I've seen ones integrated into IRC that hackers use.
Perhaps a better option or not, I don't know, there are even apps that integrate pgp encryption in to auto decrypted messaging in real time.

Last edited by Ronald McDruggled (2022-02-17 13:50)

Cheers,
McDrugs - i'm Lovin' It! :D

#12 2022-02-18 00:00

chitty

Yea, like if you watch "The Imitation Game"((it's about the English mathematician Alan Turing cracking the German enigma code that they used on their radio transmissions in WW2) when Turing cracks enigma the guys that know enigma is cracked have to selectively decide what information to actually share with the allies, because they can't tell them everything because if the Germans realise enigma is cracked they'll stop using it.

Board footer